7.25.2008

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug...

Well, Thursday morning should have started out as any other Thursday. I had my laptop packed up, my bag packed with my notepads, my day planner and my daily schedules in it for a full day of completing intakes for the clinic. I try to eat light on these days since I am usually really busy, so I typically pack a snack, a piece of fruit and either a Crystal lite drink or some tea. We had gotten some new thermal drink mugs from a pharmaceutical sales rep and I decided to pack my drink in that for the day. I closed it up and packed it in my bag standing up and put the bag behind my front seat so the whole bag would not fall over. I couldn't find my back cushion for my chair that keeps my back in place all day, so I put a bed pillow in a bag and took it along. Hang in there, I thought...it will all be fall into place.

When I arrived, I got my laptop bag out and then picked up my other bag to find the new thermal mug leaked all over everything!!!! Thank goodness it had been standing up so only the bottoms of eveything had gotten soaked, so I could plan to dry most of it out. I took the mug and sent it soaring across the parking lot. I swear if Jerry Jones had seen my arm that morning he would have wanted to hire me for an assistant coaching position for the Cowboys!
What a mess!!! Of course it was also the only time I didn't have even a tissue or paper towel with me. I managed to get everything inside and my 8:00 appointment didn't show, so I spent the hour laying things out to dry. Fortunately my day planner (my day to day life) was zipped up and survived the accident pretty much)

Well, I was definitely feeling more like the "bug on the windshield" kind of a day by now. Plus I had nothing to drink for the entire day! The only drinks available are soft drink machines and I can't drink them any more! (yes, I know some of you don't know that your hardcore diet drink friend is now on medicine that makes it so bitter that I cannot tolerate them!) Of course I called Steve to whine and complain about the way my day was going and he was genuinely sympathetic.

My 9:00 showed up and the busy day got going. After that intake was completed, the secretary buzzed me and said I should come downstairs that something had arrived for me.

Steve had brought by some bottled water, bottled tea, snacks and also found my good pillow for my chair!!! On top of that he had bought some lovely flowers (see above photo) and put them in a vase to give me a new start for the day!! And that is just what it did.
What a simple sweet gesture that was....but it turned the day around for me and I became the windshield instead of the bug. I think I will keep you, Steve Baer. Next week is 16 years...time flies when you are having fun.

No comments: