10.16.2012

California Bound 10.14.12

As usual, I find that I have been (once again) neglectful in writing in my blog.  That is definitely one thing that I hope to improve on in the coming months.  It's so easy to get caught up in work and taking care of things at home that I fail to stop and take time to record my life.  I think I will regret it if I do not take it back up!
So....that brings us to Sunday, October 14, 2012.  We have been planning this trip to California for several months now.  The day to pack and leave tonight out of XNA is finally here.  Steve has, of course, been planning what he's packing for days now.  I, on the other hand, have not packed a thread.  Life has simply been so busy recently that packing was the least of my concerns.  Crazy last few weeks for sure.  My car is still in the body shop, after almost 9 weeks following the August wreck.  Then a week ago I learned that my office building that I LOVE has sold and I have 30 days to relocate.  UGH.
Then on top of that, Greg is moving to Virginia next weekend.  He has taken an awesome job at Boeing.  He will actually graduate in December, so I thought I'd have that time to prepare for any possible move.  So proud of him...but the "mom" in me knows how I will miss just knowing he's up the hill in Fayetteville.
So...we decided that we really needed to skip church today since we had a million things to do to get ready.  Laundry and packing, weighing the luggage, measuring the luggage and making sure we have everything we planned to take in place.  Take the laptop or not?  Try to take the Garmin--even thought it's not updated?  And just HOW many cords do we have to take to keep power going to the Iphone, the laptop, my Kindle and the Garmin GPS.  Heavens!  Will have to put all of those in the checked bags or else they will think I'm planning to blow up the plane.
Our flight wasn't supposed to leave until 8:30pm, so we drove up to Mary Beth's house to see Reid for a bit before we leave.  Jon takes us to the airport.  We have two suitcases--one to check and one to take on with us. Steve has his backpack and I have my bag with the laptop and camera in it.  We got there early, which was a first for us.
While waiting to board the Allegiant flight to LAX, we met Mike Flynn.  His son plays for the Razorback football team.  He never misses a game.  Unbelievable!  A really nice guy and knows a lot about what to expect and "NOT" expect from this airline.  We wait forever to board.  They are nearly an hour late in getting us on board.  When we get boarded, we see that Mike has unfortunately been seated next to a Hispanic woman in her winter coat and coughing her head off and an extremely obese woman that should have paid for two seats.  He takes the window. Later in the flight, we see that she has ordered a footlong hogie sandwich and a Bud Light.  I'm sure he is dying.  We are even at a distance.
The flight goes okay, even though we turn down the drink of water that they charge for.  Really glad I picked up something before boarding.  Crazy.
We land and get on the shuttle to Fox Rental Cars.  This must be some low budget business....no surprise.  The shuttle driver was incredibly rude and even rolled his eyes when Steve hesitated for one second about which bags were ours.  No tip for you!!!  The gentleman at the counter had such a thick accent that we could barely understand.  Perhaps it was the late hour. I don't know.  We picked up our Hyundai Elantra and headed to the LaQuinta Inn.  Not a high dollar place, but close to the airport.  Easy to get to.
I won't mention the four rough looking guys lurking in the parking garage.  I saw my life flash before my eyes and truly wished we had not brought cash with us!  We made it inside and were pleased to find a nice room waiting.  We were exhausted.


No comments: