1.07.2009

Late at night...

It's funny, I think, sometimes what makes us stop and think. Or maybe just those little moments that make us stop. I mean really stop. It doesn't seem to happen to me very often these days, but I just had one of those "stop in your tracks, have I been here before, deja vu" kind of moments so I wanted to write a bit about it.
I used to be such a night person that it would amaze you. I've never been a morning person. But as the years go by, it seems that I'm growing less of either one. I like going to bed before 11 and sleeping as long as the alarm will allow me too, or the neighbor's barking dog...see previous blog on dog.
Tonight we were tuckered out from a late night going to Fayetteville last night to watch those crazy Razorbacks win against rival Texas. It really doesn't matter what sport we are playing. If we are playing against Texas, we just want to win! It was close down to the final seconds, which made for a thrilling ballgame. Traffic wasn't too crazy getting out of there and since we had eaten a huge meal at a mexican restaurant in Springdale that I dare not try to spell that starts with an "O" and my children KNOW I would, God forbid, not try to pronounce in their presence, were not hungry and got home around midnight. (now there's a run-on sentence for you)
Steve has gone to bed early and I was working on some photos from the rehearsal dinner. Yes, the wedding is still alive and well folks. Just you wait until it's your turn. You will understand. I began putting paperwork that was left undone back in my bag and turning off lights....went into the kitchen and put a few things away. Turned off the lights as I made a glass of ice water from my new nifty refrigerator with ice and water on the outside (yes, people, not all of us have lived with that luxury all of our lives).
That's when it happened. I was standing there with nothing but the street light coming in through the windows and I got the best sense of peace. I love this old house of ours. What good memories have been made here. How many times has that old back door opened and closed for children and friends and pets and furniture and gifts and moving kids to college and moving in and out of appliances old and new. The creaky old hardwood floors are so familiar that I hardly notice their creaks any more. If I had carried their weight I would have to creak a bit myself. And those of you that know me, would agree I'd be fussing! We've made it through boyfriends and girlfriends and graduations and birthdays right there in that kitchen. And right at that moment it was so still and quiet with nothing but the moon and street light shining in. No noise. No sons or daughters to wait up on tonight.
It's such a peaceful feeling and yet it almost feels like that little breath of air you suck in right before you swim underwater. You have to take it in to help prepare you for whatever might come your way next.

2 comments:

Mojave Storm said...

Dang making me miss home already

Dianne Baer said...

That's good for you to miss home...isn't it?